Thursday, January 22, 2009

Revelations and Ramblings

While I was driving yesterday, I had two revelations. The first was why I have felt so euphoric about our new president's inauguration, and the second, although a recurring one (but I am still amazed that it always seems so new), was that John Lennon was a true genius. It hit me again as I listened to two of his songs.

The first song was "Give Peace a Chance" which I found very befitting in light of the hope that President Obama will somehow restore this nation to the true leader of democracy that we are supposed to be.





As I said earlier, I have been trying to figure out why I've been so upbeat in anticipation of yesterday's inauguration. In listening to GPAC I had a 60's flashback, remembering the Summer of Love, the already gathered storm clouds of Viet Nam and economic hardship, and how we came through those times.

The Summer of Love was all about peace and freedom, as the nation forged deeper into the depths of a war that almost divided us. I remembered how we went from love to hate in just one season. Yeah, the summer was filled with love, but with the fall came hate. Visions of the riots at the DNC in Chicago are haunting, to say the least. The recollection that I lost a cousin during those riots is once again quite vivid.

We then had to face the Nixon years, and Jimmy Carter. But we came through them, and had about 20 years of relative harmony and prosperity. The similarities between then and now are remarkable. So with a new administration in office, I am hopeful that this is the start of the upturn, and that we will somehow get back to the "Summer of Love".

My second revelation or should I say re-revelation that Lennon was a genius hit me while listening to "Imagine".




Imagine there's no country
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

How prophetic, in light of events of this decade; i.e. 9/11, the Iraq War. These lyrics speak volumes about my core beliefs, at least the religion part. Nationalism and fundamentalist beliefs are responsible for so many wars and deaths.

I want to be clear, I have no problem with people believing in their version of God. Just don't try to force those beliefs on others, which is what fundamentalists do. And while we're at it, stop holding back progress because you don't believe in science. Imagine if the rest of us tried to stop you from having faith. You go your way and I'll go mine.


allan

jai guru deva

No comments:

Post a Comment